Family heirlooms have the power to bring the past into the present. A single item can evoke a flood of memories and feelings of nostalgia. Having them in your home can remind you of your heritage, your legacy, and your future. If your family doesn’t have any heirlooms, the good news is, that you can create your own and start the traditions now.
And if you live in LA, you are in the perfect spot to find some great pieces to get started!
Los Angeles has become a hub for many independent brands and brilliant artisans in a melting pot of diversity, culture, and creativity. People come from all over the world to explore all the city has to offer and often that means indulging in some of the custom art.
At Valley Drapery & Upholstery, we are tapped into this exciting experience with designers and artisans who work with us to bring our clients truly unique pieces that not only are incorporated into their décor and lend a personal touch to the style, they also often become treasured family heirlooms.
The LA Art Scene
Many brands have come to Los Angeles to not only sell their products and establish a home office, they create their goods by hand there as well. Crafted, a large market at the Port of LA features some of the most talented craftsmen and artisans that the city has to offer. Other brands have stand-alone operations like Hedley & Bennett which creates unique, handmade kitchenware. Their factory is located in LA and their artisans use the space to create one-of-a-kind items. Compartés is a chocolate artisan that creates handcrafted chocolate and sells it in Brentwood.
And then there are the projects that are working to do good in the world. LA based Homeboy Bakery has a very successful program that focuses on gang intervention. They help former gang members with rehab and re-entry by teaching them culinary skills so that they can get jobs as cooks, bakers, and chefs. Rewilder is another brand with a heart, using salvaged materials to craft all of its products.
Here at Valley Drapery & Upholstery, we are proud to be a part of LA’s art scene. We’re family owned and operated and based in LA. We offer our clients the finest quality handmade items for their homes from wall coverings to window treatments, to accessories that add a pop of color. WE have it all and it’s all made in America.
Making Your Custom Art Pieces Family Heirlooms
If you have custom art that has been given to you by a friend or family member but is not necessarily an heirloom (yet), try these tips for adding the piece to your décor.
- Try creative positioning, especially with larger or bulky pieces of custom furniture
- A large armoire or other cabinet can fit better in with your décor if you hang art from the piece’s doors. This also covers up flaws in pieces that need to be restored or are older.
- Place your art in areas that lend high visibility, allowing them to be conversation starters.
- If your art doesn’t quite fit into your décor, a designer can help you create a space where your heirloom exists harmoniously with your style.
- For art pieces like paintings and photography, frames can degrade over time. Clean your frame regularly and quickly mend any parts that may become loose or damaged.
- Don’t be afraid to be creative and display your heirloom art in unique and fun ways.
- When you pick up a piece that you plan to pass on as a family heirloom, make it special. If there is a neat story attached, write it down. Create a sense of emotional connection and nostalgia around it.
- If you don’t have children you can still pass on family heirlooms. Give them to a niece or nephew, a godchild, or even a close friend. Family is more than DNA, it’s the family we create.
At Valley Drapery & Upholstery we don’t just help you create a beautiful home, we help you create memories and preserve heirlooms. We can help you find pieces that you will be proud to pass on to future generations. Our designers and artisans will work with you to find or create the perfect piece made just for you.
Visit our showroom today or make an appointment with one of our designers to get started.