Custom bedding can be anything from a personalized quilted coverlet to a complete bedding set designed and made just for you. The beauty of it is that you can tailor the design specifically for your own personal style and the décor of your room.
It is truly how to create a bedroom that is exactly how you want it.
It can be a little intimidating when taking those first steps into customization though. Here are a few tips to help make the process a little easier.
Types of Custom Bedding
There are several types of bedding that you will encounter. You can customize just a few pieces or the entire setup.
- Mattress cover – This encases the mattress to protect it so that it will stay newer longer.
- Fitted sheets – This is the bottom sheet that fits snugly around the mattress. It typically has elastic at the corner edges to ensure the sheet stays securely on the mattress.
- Flat sheets – This is the top sheet and goes over the fitted sheet. It acts as a cover, although a comforter, bedspread, or blanket may be layered on top of it.
- Pillowcases – These are the cases that fit over the pillows to protect them.
- Comforter – This is a padded, thick blanket that lays over other bedding like the sheet and blankets or bedspread. It is good for adding warmth.
- Blanket – This is a piece of fabric that is often woven and can be used as a bed covering. There are many different fabric options.
- Bedspread – This bed cover is both decorative and functional as it is the top layer for the bedding. It serves to add warmth as well as protect the bedding.
- Coverlet – This is a decorative bed covering. It does not cover the entire bed, but instead just a portion – usually the bottom or foot of the bed.
- Duvet – This is similar to a comforter but thicker. It is often filled with synthetic material or down feathers.
- Bed skirt – This covers the bed frame and usually goes all the way to the floor so that it hides the space under the bed.
Working with a Designer
When you begin working with a designer, make sure you find one that is the right fit for you. They should have a similar vision for your room or at least understand your style. Communication is key. If you don’t like something, speak up. Your designer won’t know what you do and don’t like unless you open your mouth.
It makes their job much easier when they know what you want.
Go into the process with realistic expectations. Real life isn’t TV. Whether they are customizing a bedroom or giving the kitchen a décor overhaul, these things take time. Be patient and realistic and you’ll get much better results along with a much smoother, less stressful process.
Custom Bedding Style Tips
When you begin your custom bedding adventure, try to start with a blank slate. Know the size you want, whether it is a standard size or your own unique measurements. Then select the fabric you like as well as the trim and any embellishments.
Work your way around the room and don’t be afraid to mix textures and tones. Find different shades that work well together to create a space that is all yours.
This is your bedroom makeover. Make the most of it.
Let Valley Drapery & Upholstery help you create the bedroom of your dreams. Our designers can’t wait to help you get started. Call today or come by our showroom today.